Saturday, September 10, 2005

Two Turtles

It rained this morning. It had stopped by the time I had to leave the house to go in for a doctor's appointment. I took a wooded road close by a creek as a more scenic route than taking the highway.

Before I knew it, I came upon a turtle. I didn't see it in time, so I drove over it in a way that the turtle wouldn't be harmed - he was directly under the center of the car. I stopped the car, got out, and picked-up the turtle, taking him across the road in the direction he was heading. I got back in the car and drove-off. Five hundred feet later, I happened upon another turtle. This time I saw it in advance, so I stopped the car and did the same thing.

I feel good about saving turtles. They're at a disadvantage. They're terribly slow while cars are very fast. They can't get out of the way fast enough for a car. I've always stopped for turtles. They need all the help they can get.

If you see a turtle - unless it's a snapping turtle - give it a helping hand. If it's a snapping turtle, find a big 2x4 or a large stick or branch, put it before the mouth of the turtle and let it attach its mouth to the wood. Its grip is strong enough that you can pick it up using the wood. Just don't let your hand or arm get too close to the snapping turtle's mouth! Box turtles won't hurt you, though. Do not be afraid. :)

2 comments:

Mark Walter said...

Thank you for having compassion on the creatures whose story inspired "slow and steady wins the race". ;-)

Sophia said...

Turtles have a lot to teach us with their slow and steady ways. I have a tendency to rush into things. Maybe I should stop and ponder the way of the turtle. :) Like you said, "Slow and steady wins the race."