Friday, October 21, 2005

The Eternal Essence of Love

[This essay is by my friend, D.R. Bennett. I really liked what he had to say about Love so I asked him for his permission to post this.]

Throughout Western history there has always been this hope for a better life-- something more than what nature had already provided. The inventions and innovations that came forward to help us move into the future are the modern conveniences that we use today; the telephone, internet, cars, planes and medical equipment.

Yet, in all this advancement, there is still an underlying void that is never filled. It is the deep human need to feel love and acceptance. No matter how much we advance technologically, there will still be this need to feel and express what we call Love. This leads us to the question, What Is Love?

To me, Love is a never-ending stream of Consciousness. It does not judge or put guilt on someone. It accepts you for who and what you are. Love overlooks all human flaws, if any of them can even be considered as ‘flaws’.

Love is not egotistical or proud. Love is humble, patient and long-lasting.
It does not put itself before another, yet takes care of its own needs as well as the needs of others. Love teaches us to take care of ourselves.

Love goes beyond all of our human quirks and pet peeves. It sees through the lie of illusion, and notices the beautiful truth of existence. Love is like a garden that produces luscious fruit. There is plenty for the giving. ~

Love is the key to The Universe!

Go to http://www.freewebs.com/drbennett

18 comments:

Red Bark said...

Yes this is a nice post. Real love is one of the things I hope to find by increasing consciousness.

Sophia said...

Hi Beard,

You probably remember a discussion we had a while back on the rec.org.mensa newsgroup. We were talking about the different types of Love. I mentioned that the best kind of Love is Platonic Love. I think it's the deepest more real Love that exists.

Red Bark said...

Hello Stacey,

I do remember that discussion. It is nice that we keep coming back to such a worthy topic.

I agree that spirtual love is probably most often platonic(non-physical). But perhaps there are different levels of platonic love some more spirtual and some less so(love of family for example). Some more real than others. What do you think?

George Breed said...

I think the universe is fueled by Love. The universe is Love Embodying.

Red Bark said...

George,

That is pretty much the way I figure it too but I am sure that I will be much more aware of it as time goes o

Anonymous said...

What is love?
Love what is!

Love is...
wanting
to be loved.

Love is...
reading,
writing,
and reach-me-tic.

Love is...
not knowing what to say.

Sophia said...

Beard,

I don't know if I'm qualified to expound upon the various levels of Platonic Love, but I do agree that there are some forms of love that are more or less spiritual. I know we all hunger for different types of love. Some are satisfied with love of the flesh, others are satisfied with a friendly love. At 27 I've had my share of both, and I will say that the best love I think exists is the most profound spiritual type of Love.

Sophia said...

George,

"Love makes the world go 'round!" :)

Sophia said...

Castor,

That's sweet. :) Love may be many things, but one thing it is not is a mistake.

Red Bark said...

Stacey,

Well it is not important anyway.

I am glad when I am reminded about love because sometimes when I try I can feel it. Not in relation to someone in particular. I just feel it. It is easy for me to accept the idea that the universe is made of nothing but love. At least sometimes.

Anonymous said...

aey u gay ?

Sophia said...

Anonymous,

Does it matter?

Anyway, to answer your question, if it's really important to you, no. I am not gay in this lifetime.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacey,

I can just think of the song by Ronan Keating - "When you say nothing at all".

It is the concept I prefer not to paint with any of philosphical ideas. I love Love 100%. Unconditionally.

-Vino.

Anonymous said...

Love?
C'est Moi.
But what is love really?
I think it is response-bility.
Being responsive to the needs of other people. Not their demands.
It's being yourself when it comes to easing people's situation.
Being helpful as much as possible.
It's being aware of other people's weaknesses and not capitalizing on them.
It's letting people be themselves.
It's not manipulating and intimidating them in order to control the situation.
Love is learning the art of fighting without fighting.
It's not having a center to protect. Not having an identity, nationality, culture, religion, church, or club to belong to.
Just being an ape without ambition to reach the top of the tree, economically or spiritually.
Just being an ape among apes.
And not making a big deal out of it. It's being it!
Love. That's it. That's all.

Sophia said...

Hi Beard,

"At least sometimes"... this is correct. The other times - where love seems not to play a role - life has its bad moments, too. There are too many sad things going on in this world right now to say that the universe is made entirely of Love.

By the way, you don't have to try to hard to feel love. You know at least one person loves you: me! :) And many others love you, know that too!

Sophia said...

Hi Vino,

Hmm.... it seems Love is very popular around here! :)

Sophia said...

Pollux,

That's a very nice definition of Love!

Red Bark said...

Blush,

That makes me feel good Stacey. Perhaps that is the love I feel. Of course love begets love. :)

Meher Baba said that the only thing that is real is love and everything else is illusion.